EB-3: Third Preference

EB-3: Employment-Based Immigration: Third Preference

For individuals who are a skilled workers, professionals, or unskilled workers (other workers).

Eligibility Requirements

Skilled workers: Requires a minimum of 2 years training or work experience that are not of a temporary or seasonal nature

Professionals: Requires at least a U.S. bachelor’s degree or a foreign equivalent and are a member of the professions

Unskilled workers (other workers): For individuals who perform unskilled labor requiring less than 2 years training or experience that are not of a temporary or seasonal nature

Note: A longer waiting time should be existed due to the less stringent requirements for EB-3 petition. The alien workers may refer to the “Department of State: Visa Bulletin” link for more information. EB-3 petitions must be accompanied by and approved individual “Labor Certification” which issued by Department of Labor. The U.S. employer needs to file Form I-140 for the alien workers and to prove that the employers are able to pay the offered wage as of the visa priority date.

Family of EB-3 Visa Holders

The spouse of the EB-3 visa holder may be admitted to the United States in E34 (spouse of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW4 (spouse of an “other worker”). And the EB-3 visa holder’s children under the age of 21 may be admitted as E35 (child of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW5 (the child of an “other worker”). The spouse is also eligible to file for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) during the process of applying for permanent resident status (status as a green card holder).

For more information about Employment-Based Immigrant visa, you may check U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ web page:

EB-3:  http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-third-preference-eb-3