J-1 Visa: Exchange Visitors

The J-Visa is granted to those who intend to participate in an approved exchange visitor program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, conducting research, consulting, studying or receiving training and graduate medical education or training. Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to: professors, scholars, research assistants, students, teachers, camp counselors, trainees, specialists and nannies/Au pairs. Employment is authorized for J-1 nonimmigrants only under the terms of the exchange program.


Submit a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. (This form should be provided by the sponsor.) Please make sure you work closely with the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the needed documents to have Form DS-2019 issued.

After the Form DS-2019 is issued, the applicant may then apply for the J-1 Visa through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate.


Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 are entitled to J-2 classification. Spouses and children under J-2 nonimmigrant status would file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to apply for work authorization.

For more information about J-1 visa, you may check U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ web page: